Winter is here again; cold and sickening. The winter gale is sweeping across the streets and into your house bringing with it coldness that makes you freeze in your sheets. It is during these times when you need every bit of warmth you can put your hands on. You will need to warm your house to make it habitable both for you and your family. While there are many ways of warming a house, firewood has always been one of the people’s favorite. Mostly available in form of huge logs, you will need to split these logs of wood to make them small and fit your furnace.
Splitting these logs of wood is not an easy task especially when you are using crude devices like axe. An axe is tiresome and requires you to apply lots of energy. It is therefore ideal for you to use a log splitter, a device that will split your logs within minutes and leave you with sizeable pieces of wood to fit your furnace.
Table of Contents
- Log Splitter Comparison Table
- What is a Log Splitter?
- Differences between Log Splitter and Firewood Processor
- 5 Best Log Splitters 2018
- 1. Boss Industrial ES7T20
- 2. Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556
- Best Electric Log Splitter 84 Reviews Pow' R' Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter Dependable 1,500 watt electric motor that runs on regular household currentSplits a log up to 20-inches long and 10-inches in diameter (capable of 12-inches for most woods)All steel construction for a long working life4 tons of RAM splitting forceNEW stronger packaging to reduce shipping damage $597.50More DetailsThe 15 Amp, 4 ton 1.75 HP electric motor provides just the right amount of energy to make splitting of logs easier using this Pow’ R’ Kraft. This big guy can splits huge logs measuring up to 20 inches in length and 10 inches in diameter. This guy comes with two handed operations which allow you to keep your hands busy on other things and enables for clear cutting of firewood. This guy is all-steel constructed making him very tough and durable giving you a long lifespan of service. This electric log splitter runs on a 1500 watt electric motor which operates on the regular home current. It has a fault breaker that protects it from current overload. Some of the notable features of this Pow’ R’ Kraft electric log splitter include:Splitting force of 4 tons of RAM All steel construction Handles up to 20 inches long and 12 inches diameter in most woods. 1500 watt electric motor that uses regular home current Strong packaging to control shipping damage3. WEN 56206 Best Electric Wood Splitter
- 4. Champion Power Equipment No.92221
- Log Splitter Buyer’s Guide
- Log Splitter Video
Log Splitter Comparison Table
What is a Log Splitter?
A log splitter is a machine that is used to split hardwood or softwood logs which have been already cut into round sections into firewood that can fit the furnace. These pre-cut sections are usually cut on a saw bench or chainsaw but their huge size cannot fit the furnace. It is therefore required that they be split into small pieces which can be burnt to provide heat. Most log splitters are comprised of an electric or hydraulic piston and rod assembly and they are mostly rated according to the tons of force that they produce. Log splitters with high pressure ratings can split logs with great thickness and length.
Most home use log splitters have a 10 tons rating. Many people who use log splitters for home use have less number of logs to split and do it less often than commercial purposes who need stronger log splitters that can handle tons of logs. Commercial log splitters are rated at around 25 tons of force and can handle large rounds of logs.
Manual log splitters apply mechanical leverage where logs are forced into a sharpened blade assembly which splits the logs. Screw or corkscrew log splitters are attached to an agricultural tractor’s three point linkage on the power take-off of the tractor.
Differences between Log Splitter and Firewood Processor
Though log splitters and firewood processors do more or less the same work of producing firewood from huge pieces of wood, there are many key differences between these two equipment. There are instances that call for use of log splitter such as splitting a few rounds of wood for home consumption while other instances like splitting large amounts of rounds of wood daily require a firewood processor. Here are the real differences between these two equipment.
- Length of wood and diameter – A log splitter handles relatively shorter logs of wood extending about 18 to 2 inches. Firewood processors on the other hand are designed to handle longer pieces of wood and can handle rounds of wood with a diameter of 16 inches.
- Home-use vs. commercial use – Log splitters handle less amount of wood as compared to firewood processors. Log splitters are ideal for the homeowners who need to split firewood to warm their houses. On the other hand, firewood processors are used by industries and commercial establishments which require large amounts of firewood to provide their energy requirements or sell to other consumers.
- Cost – Log splitters are inexpensive and you can get one from around $100 to $2000. Firewood processors are on the other hand very expensive and you should be prepared to cough out some tens of thousands of dollars to acquire one.
- Amount of firewood – A log splitter handles a few tons of firewood at a time. They are ideal for producing firewood for home use. Firewood processors however, are designed to handle large amounts of firewood at a time. They can produce between 2 to 4 cords of firewood in one hour.
It is therefore very important for you to determine the amount of firewood and how often you want it before committing yourself to buying any of these equipment.
5 Best Log Splitters 2018
There are different brands of log splitters in the market today. These manufacturers promise you quality and performance but often bring you sub-standard log splitters. However, there are those who do not eat their words, and bring you exactly what they promised you. Here is the top 4 review of the top log splitters.
1. Boss Industrial ES7T20
Best Electric Log Splitter
- Powerful 2 HP electric motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- Convenient one-Handed operation
- Automatic ram return
- 2-year residential warranty.Hydraulic Pressure (psi):3500
Boss Industrial ES7T20 offers you portability and a one handed operation. It comes with automatic RAM return function which enables you to work faster. This guy has a rugged design appearance and professional grade hydraulics as well as qualify finishing and craftsmanship which is geared towards ensuring that your wood splitting properties are not compromised.
Coming with a 2 HP electric motor, this machine will go through any piece of wood under in inches long and 12 inches in diameter. It comes with an easy push button for your start button and doesn’t require you to use both hands. Being a one handed operation allows you to free up one hand every time you are splitting your logs
. When you remove your hand from the machine during log splitting the automatic RAM return takes place meaning you will not be exposed to any danger. The professional grade hydraulic system is your best bet to splitting those pieces of wood for your fireplace firewood.