- POWER: This Bosch Random Orbit Sander/Polisher features a powerful 6.5-Amp motor which provides heavy sanding and extended tool life so you can get the job done for longer.
- CONTROL: Includes soft start for reduced start-up torque, variable speed to match speed to any work piece and vacuum port for dust collection and mess-free sanding.
- DUAL-MODE: Provides two sanding modes - random orbit mode for normal stock removal or fine finishing and "turbo" driven eccentric orbit mode for aggressive stock removal at five times the rate of the normal random orbit sanding mode.
- SPEED: Set desired speed using a dial and Constant Response circuitry takes it from there, maintaining pad speed under heavy loads and protecting against overload.
- PROTECTED: The 1250DEVS Random Orbit Sander/Polisher is back by a 1-year unconditional Bosch warranty.
If you have some finishing work to be done, you should look no further than the Bosch 1250DEVS. This random orbital sander is Bosch’s most powerful offering, drawing up to 6.5A. But it’s not just for finishing, it also features an aggressive turbo driven sanding mode when you need something with a bit more bite.
Dust & Abrasives
And it really is meant for hard work. Whereas the rest of Bosch’s products in the range come with dust canisters, the 1250DEVS does not, and instead includes a dust tube for connection to a Bosch vacuum system. For lighter work, you can operate the tool without a vacuum connection, and just make use of the sander’s passive dust collection system, although it may require frequent cleaning.
The Bosch 1250DEVS is designed for 6” sanding pads and the standard package includes their soft backing pad, which is compatible with industry-standard 6 hole, hook-and-loop abrasive discs. Bosch also offer two additional backing pads, an extra soft one for fine finishing, and a hard pad for quicker material removal.
Power & Speed
Unusual for this class of tool, the Bosch’s maximum orbital speed is just 6,650 OPM, with a minimum of 3,100 OPM. Most of its rivals will happily spin up to 12,000 OPM. This is by design though. The low OPM means that the product is excellent for fine finishing work, allowing much better control.
One generally associates high OPM speeds with the ability to grind away material, but the 1250DEVS achieves this in another way. The high max current is used to increase the torque the sander can apply. This means that it can handle a larger eccentric offset, while still applying the same force. This combination, which comes out in the sander’s turbo mode, massively increases the rate of material removal.
Size and Ergonomics
The lack of dust canister makes this model relatively small. Even with the extra power, it has a length of only 12”. This makes it easy to move about, especially getting into tight areas. The handle is fairly standard and for applying pressure you can use either the large rubberized palm rest, or the included auxiliary handle, which will attach on either side of the sander. Bosch do stress that the model features their special counterbalance mechanism, which means the sander can be operated with just one finger on the palm grip.
Bosch 1250DEVS Video
If you’ve never seen the Bosch 1250DEVS in action, here is a short YouTube video demonstrating its use:
The Bosch 1250DEVS stands out from its competitors in a number of ways, but the ability to switch between finishing and grinding modes is surely its strongest point. With this switch, you no longer have to try and tenderly handle a grinder too powerful for your finishing job, or tire yourself out by using an underpowered device. The lower OPM range and larger eccentric offset are perfect for finishing, and the turbo mode will ensure your work is completed in no time.
The Bosch 1250DEVS is a well-built tool, that can take the place of two sanders and is backed by Bosch’s 1-year unconditional warranty.